We all have a book inside us, but are we willing to go through the process to write and publish?
Here are 10 tips to get you started:
- What is the purpose for your book? The “Why”?
- Fiction or Non-fiction?
- Who is your audience? If you say “everyone,” you don’t have an audience. Depending on your subject, there are many people that will be interested – but not all.
- Have your researched a need for your book? Has someone asked you for the information or do you think everyone just needs the information.
- How many other books are on the same subject? And who wrote them? Many Hollywood stars have written books, but are they an expert on the subject?
- Are you an expert on the subject? Do people come to you for advice on the subject?
- Do you have a platform on social media? How do you know there in interest in your topic if you don’t have a following that is interested?
- How many books have you read? The more you read, the more versed you are on the language and format of a book.
- Do you have a business plan? You have to have a plan! It doesn’t just happen.
- How well do you handle rejection and criticism?!? Be prepared for the “naysayers” – mostly those that wish they wrote a book and never did.
Nobody cares about the book you almost wrote. What you start – you need to complete (that goes with any project.) So think it through before beginning.
When you are ready to start writing and need a coach, I’m here to help. If you have a manuscript and would like information on self-publishing, contact me. I’m here for you.